Palms - Palms (2013)


Palms is a kind of superband with members of Isis and Deftones' Chino Moreno as frontman. Expectations were high for the album and the band delivers but perhaps not in a way that will satisfy everyone.

The album moves at a slow pace like a small boat sailing gently through a pristine calm ocean. This is a dreamy kind of post-rock concerned with mood and atmosphere rather than riffs and Chino Moreno's silky vocals suit the music perfectly. The songs are also quite long with progressive rock tendencies. 

Some may find the calm and quiet of these songs boring, there's no metal here, no big guitar bursts (well a few really well measured ones), but the album is so beautiful, soothing and uplifting that I personally would nominate the ten minute long Mission Sunset as my particular highlight. 

I love everything Deftones has done but I've always wanted Deftones to explore their more melodic and dreamy side in one album. Forget about metal, consider it a one time experiment and just go with it. I don't think that will ever happen but this album gives me a bit of an idea of what it could sound like.

Palms may not be for everyone, some will miss bigger guitar moments, but I'm captivated by the utter beauty of this debut album and I hope there's more to come. This debut album is a triumph in every possible way.

Rating: Heavy Rotation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nosound - Afterthoughts (2013)

Xandria - Sacrificium (2014)